Our Vision – Supporting Southern Ontario Growth
Southern Ontario is set to experience significant growth over the next three decades, making it one of the fastest growing regions in North America. Not surprisingly, demand for air travel across the region will follow suit, rising to approximately 110 million passengers over the same timeframe. This growth presents significant opportunities for the region, local communities and their airports.
Southern Ontario Airport Network members believe it is essential to prepare for growth. By better using the available capacity of these airports and the transportation options that link them the region will be better placed to keep the region connected and support local economies.
Read about the long term vision that Southern Ontario Airport Network members have for the region.
Brought together in 2015 and formalized in 2017, the Southern Ontario Airport Network (SOAN) is a forum for region’s leading commercial airports to work together to support growth and amplify the overall impact of air service for Southern Ontario. Varying in scale and service profile, each airport shares the goal of supporting the needs of Southern Ontario communities and helping develop economic opportunities. Members include:
- Toronto Pearson International Airport
- Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport
- Hamilton John C. Munro International Airport
- Kingston/Norman Rogers Airport
- Lake Simcoe Regional Airport
- London International Airport
- Oshawa Executive Airport
- Niagara District Airport
- Peterborough Airport
- Region of Waterloo International Airport
- Windsor International Airport
While each airport will continue to make independent strategic decisions based on local business drivers and community needs and acceptance while working to enhance their capacity; the Southern Ontario Airport Network provides a forum to discuss how to understand the opportunities and constraints to air service development in the region in a comprehensive way.
The Southern Ontario Airport Network is a forum working to identify synergistic business opportunities that enhance air transportation service and capacity for the region. Realizing our shared vision for Southern Ontario will not happen overnight, which is why members have prioritized the following activities for the first five years:
- Raise awareness and profile of the Southern Ontario Airport Network airports as:
- Enablers of trade, tourism and foreign direct investment (FDI) in Ontario and Canada
- Sources of jobs in each airport community and beyond
- Providers of diverse airport options for passengers, shippers, businesses and air carriers
- Enablers of Toronto Pearson’s role as Canada’s mega hub airport
- Promote Southern Ontario with the goal of attracting greater tourism trade and FDI
- Develop a common source of data that will allow all airports to understand the future needs of this growing region and identify future air service development opportunities.